Tuesday 22 January 2013

Adria Australis: another blast from the past

Back in September 2011 I posted a piece on the Clipper Race, and made a passing reference to Adria Australis, an Alan Buchanan 49' steel sloop built in 1966 on which I'd made a passage delivery from Hobart to Adelaide, via the SW Cape of Tasmania.  That led to contact from Tim Simpson from Adelaide, who'd sailed on Adria in the 80s.  So I posted about that, with some piccies from 1983, here.
Then, just last week, an email from Mark Jones, who had been with us on Adria on that very trip, when we sailed into a major storm, with winds of over 70knots, were knocked down, fell off a wave which dented the forward port side of the boat, damaged the engine, and, in retrospect, nearly did for us, on that savage lee shore, with "many uncharted black rocks" as the Pilot says....
A bit of to-and-froing of emails with Mark, are added to comments section of the earlier post here.
Mark asked for some more photos from that voyage, and I'm doing that below....
First, Mark's email of 18th Jan:

Hi Peter,
As another year started I got to thinking about what I was doing 30 years ago.  Sue, my partner at the time, and I were on board Adria Australis with Lachlan, Ant, Jan and you from Hobart to Strahan.  I Googled a bit and found an ad from when Adria was for sale and read your “Big Waves Tip Yacht” blog – in fact I think that’s me in one of the photos.  The whole trip is still pretty clear in my memory.  If you fancy a bit of a catch up it might be fun.
Xena looks pretty impressive.  There must be a story or two there!
All the best,
Mark

Mark Jones
Welsh Produce Manager/Rheolwr Cynnyrch Cymru
Rural Regeneration Unit/Uned Adfywio Gwledig
Mark then...., January 1983, somewhere off Tasmania....
... and now, Welsh Produce Manager at the RRU.
Sue, at SW Cape. We're about to head into the storm. Nothing in the pictures
I have can give a true idea of the fury we met round the corner.

Being towed into Macquarie Harbour, Strahan, about four days later.
The entrance is really narrow and we'd had no engine for the four days
up the west coast after the knowdown off Port Davey, SW Cape.

Sue drying out the gear in Strahan

"Cowboy", one the fisherfolk who met us, all kindly and friendly.
Here he steers us up the Gordon River on a look-see

"Cowboy's" fishing boat.

Cowboy, Jan, Skipper Ant Harry and ??..

No comments:

Post a Comment